Wednesday 2 August 2017

Myanmar 10/7/17 - 21/7/17

  • (Typed on 23/7/17)
  • One of the things I thought about on the long and bumpy car/ truck rides in Myanmar was how as I grow older, the question is no longer "what do I want to be in the future" but rather, "what kind of a person do I want to be in the future". Had many thought-provoking conversations with Charlene over the course of the 11 days that surrounded the topics of religion/ social media/ values/ contentment and privilege. In a way, I'm glad that she's someone who thinks a lot too because then we could discuss openly and share our thoughts. Watching TV shows on the less fortunate and reading about them online or through the newspaper makes it easy for one to think that one already knows and understands the plight these people are in. But the problem with this is that it's ultimately so effortless to distance oneself from them, to return to one's daily routine and forget once the credits roll or once the page of the newspaper is flipped. What can I do to make sure that I remember this trip??? How can I ensure that it doesn't become another "out of sight, out of mind" thing?? What can I do to make sure that the newly ignited flame doesn't burn out? Coming back to clean streets, evenly paved roads and a place where class distinction is hidden behind closed doors makes it so easy to forget the classroom with close to or more than a hundred houseflies, to forget the beggars along the streets, to forget the children who cherish the things that we take for granted here. In Singapore, a free bag given by a tuition centre is chucked aside and left to collect dust because we'd rather carry a Jansport/ Converse to school. To them, a bag is a bag. A slipper is not thrown away even though the grooves are smoothened by friction. Education is an entitlement in SG, but there, public education w 60 kids in a class is a privilege and private education is reserved only for the rich. The children and people I spent the past few days with want to learn and fill themselves with knowledge. They are more hardworking and more passionate than so many of us here, yet for some, the situation they're in prevents them from ever advancing or getting opportunities that are easily accessible to us. 
  • If there's anything I'm grateful for, it's that this trip and the conversations/ interactions I've had with the people have given me a new direction/ goal to work towards. I want to be the person who is able to say "see you again" and "I love you too" to the child who says it to me. I want to feed their curiosity, I want to teach. I want to be someone with a bigger purpose and a bigger worldview. I want to be more and I am going to make sure that the dream I'm dreaming now comes true, even if it may take years.